Tuesday, September 12, 2017

DIY Recipe of the Week {Chemical Free Home}

What's in your cabinets?   

Why am I passionate about getting the yuck out of my home?  Because I don't want to be in constant pain because my Endo is flaring up.  I know, it's pretty selfish, but it's the catalyst for change in my home.  For me, essential oils are another rug on my Healthy Living Ladder.  It's something that I'm choosing to do to help my family.
You can read more about that here

Did you know that 26 seconds after exposure that chemicals are found in measurable amounts in the human body?    

Did you know that the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health studied 2,983 ingredients in our products at home—and found 884 toxic ingredients? 

I've done it.  I'm sure that you may have done it as well.  Used an OTC sleep aid or even a natural sleep aid in pill form to help you get some zzz's at night.  So, what is causing you to not be able to naturally fall asleep?  There are many factors to examine - diet (food and drinks), emotions (feelings are feelings, they are not facts), stress (daily or incidental), thought patterns (are you an overthinker? - I am), environment (is it soothing and relaxing or does it stimulate your senses). 

I've been working on a more natural rhythm to my day.  Let me tell you - NOT THAT EASY! Especially when you are the type of person who is "go" from when your feet hit the floor in the morning until your head is hitting the pillow at night (and then, for an additional hour or two.  Am I right?). 

What have I done?  I say "no" a whole lot more now.  Also, with three kids, I don't force activities, especially for the younger ones.  College-aged child can totally do whatever because it is having a minimal impact on me and my day.  But that hasn't always been the case.  My kids were three season sport athletes, active in scouting, we had something going on every weekend, and most nights during the week, plus add family commitments and geesh, where is that time going?  I got so sick of it!  I got sick of constantly going all of the time.  The progress I'm made to the most recent changes that I've made have been about four years in the making.  Finishing up commitments and then handing in resignations and making it clear that I wasn't going to continue to volunteer my time.  Not taking on new commitments that stole my time and joy to fill up all that extra time I was not gaining.  Seriously looking at how much sleep I need per night (9 hours, by the way to be functional and happy in the AM).  I've cut all caffeine from my diet (and my body's natural rhythm has returned), and planning my days so that they are 1) not a time suck and 2) structured (I work from home, so this is totally needed).  Oh, also - I totally utilize my alarm feature on my cell phone.  Time to walk, alarm.  Time to make lunch, alarm. Time to pick a kid up from school, alarm.  Time to take a shower, alarm.  Time to head to bed, alarm. It has helped me SO MUCH. 

But, sleep - ahhh, sleep.  One of the awesome (that's loaded with sarcasm) lingering side effects of my chemotherapy treatment has been insomnia.  And, sometimes I need a little more help than just running m diffuser to benefit from the healing power of essential oils.  On those nights where I find myself with running thoughts, I slather this stuff on to aid in gaining some restful zzz's.  Because, quite honestly, if I do not get enough sleep my entire day is off.  I don't want that.        



Bedtime Rub  

1/3 cup of coconut oil
12 drops of lavender EO
12 drops of cedarwood EO
12 drops of Peace & Calming EO

Using your stand mixer and whip that stuff together OR use your handheld blender to whip it together. Then store in an airtight glass jar (I use a mason jar).  

       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.