Tuesday, May 9, 2017

DIY Recipe of the Week {Chemical Free Home}

What's in your cabinets?   

Why am I passionate about getting the yuck out of my home?  Because I don't want to be in constant pain because my Endo is flaring up.  I know, it's pretty selfish, but it's the catalyst for change in my home.  For me, essential oils are another rug on my Healthy Living Ladder.  It's something that I'm choosing to do to help my family.
You can read more about that here




Did you know that 26 seconds after exposure that chemicals are found in measurable amounts in the human body?    

Did you know that the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health studied 2,983 ingredients in our products at home—and found 884 toxic ingredients? 

Let's talk SHOWER BOMBS.  So, it's spring right now and pretty much everyone in my family is going to be suffering from some sort of sinus yuck quite soon.  Healing baths, steam showers, and warm water soaks are nothing new in my family.  I grew up with them.  My mom would get these amazing smelling funny liquids from the German Apothecary shop every year to help support our family in healthy ways.  I still have some of those funny liquids with German labels.  I can't read German, but I know what to do with those funny liquids.    

In our home we take showers.  But, man, would I love a soaker tub.  Just saying.  

Anyway, showers - how do you utilize the supportive powers of essential oils while taking a shower? With Shower Bombs.  These also make wonderful gifts - just a little FYI there.  



  • 1 cup Baking Soda (may need a little more, so keep that box out)
  • 1/3 cups distilled water
  • 25 drops essential oils
In a bowl add the baking soda and water together.  Mix well until you have a paste consistency.  Add your essential oils and incorporate it into the paste mixture.  If the mixture is too runny, add one tablespoon at a time of baking soda and mix until you get a paste consistency again.  You want to mix until you have a thick paste consistency that is hard to mix.  Keep adding more baking soda, as needed, until you get that consistency.  It should take roughly  5 minutes to achieve this consistency while stirring continuously.
Next, you are going to grab your favorite silicone shaped molds and add the baking soda mixture to the molds.  Then you are going to set them out to dry for 24 hours.  

Here are some of my favorite essential oil blends to add to the baking soda and water mixture to make shower bombs - 
My favorite "wake me up" blend is lemongrass + orange
My favorite "relaxing" blend is cyprus + ylang ylang
My favorite "respiratory" support blend is eucalyptus + peppermint + lemon


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.