Saturday, April 29, 2017

Listen to Your Mother {Chicago}

I am not in the show this year.  According to Melisa Wells (co-producer of the Chicago show), I maxed out in 2015.  And, this year, it's the grand finale show.

But...I had so many more stories to share.

For me, Listen to You Mother {Chicago} has, is, and will continue to be a safe place for me. The place where I was coming from in 2012 when I auditioned for the first time was not good, healthy, supportive, or thriving.  I was not allowing myself to hold space.  I didn't think that what I had to say or share was important or would have an impact, at all.  What being apart of Listen to Your Mother {Chicago} allowed me to do was want to have that space.  Participating in the whole show process (audition, rehearsal, bonding via a Facebook group, performing, and then becoming an alumni), allowed me to want the creative spark that I was constantly pushing to the side because I didn't feel like I even deserved to have a creative spark because I was a mother, because I was a wife, because I was a stay-at-home mom, because....
Being apart of Listen to Your Mother {Chicago} gave me the desire to not only want, but to do.  And it was glorious.  At a time where I felt the most isolated and alone, I suddenly didn't.  I grabbed so tight onto what was right in front of me and haven't let go for six year.  I have been singing the praises of Listen to Your Mother {Chicago} that entire time.  Desire and doing is so magical when you allow it to take over, and when you know what the catalyst was for that, why wouldn't you sign those praises loud and far?  For me, it's deeply rooted in gratitude.

As someone who has sat in the seats of the Athenaeum Theater in Chicago three times with wide eyes, whole hand covered gasps, and fists of tissues, I can tell you that it is an amazing experience.  It is the only thing that I have ever participated in where I have walked away not only with a mind full of "me too's", but also inspired and encouraged.

So, here I am singing the praises of Listen to Your Mother {Chicago} in the hopes that the theater will be filled for its grand finale performance.  Because it should be.  Because you should be there. Because it makes a great girls day out.  Because it makes a great Mother's Day gift.  Because you should go with friends & family and enjoy a performance about motherhood - about every aspect of motherhood.

You can find out more about this years cast by going here
You can purchase your tickets for this years show by going here
You can see past performances on the LTYM YouTube channel by going here

Tracey Becker and Melisa Wells (co-producers of Listen to Your Mother {Chicago}), allowed me the ability to share what it was like to be the mother of a child with a biological father who was not there, in 2012




Having never, EVER been on stage (short of a college Poetry class assignment) I freaked out.  This is my post show blog post.   I literally could not walk out on stage as Stephanie Kush.
I was that terrified.  So, I donned an alter ego and did my very first LTYM performance not as myself. So, being on the other side of that I am strongly against that but I oh so get it!  I shared more about my piece here, too.

They gifted me the ability to come back in 2015 to share about what I learned from my mom, who at the time was dying of cancer



By this point I was so comfortable in my own skin that I was able to set foot on stage as myself.  I shared about participating in LTYM in 2015 here, the evolution of my freak out (2012 vs. 2015) here , because hindsight is always 20/20, and about my 2015 performance after my mom's death here.

What had happened between 2012 and 2015 that allowed me to be so comfortable in my skin?  Listen to Your Mother.  Every single aspect of it.  The fact that this is their grand finale performance saddens me because no one else will be able to experience that.  Here is the thing, when you go from a place of lack and negativity to a place of abundance and support, you change.  You have to!  I have, and I'm so grateful that I did.




            

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.