Tuesday, March 21, 2017

I'm A Dish Soap Snob

I am totally a dish soap snob.

I do not own a dish washer, never have, likely never will.  Because, I am the dish washer.  More times than not, I view it as a meditative act, not a chore.  I know, I'm weird.

I guarantee that there is a bottle of Dawn on the ledge of that sink!

Anyway, for years I used Dawn.  YEARS.  My mom even used Dawn, so I've been exposed to it for over 40 year.

But, with my new found quest to rid my home of chemicals I had to find a better option.  And, DIY'ing my dish soap was last on my list of options.  Because, why DIY when there are perfectly acceptable options available for purchase.  In this case I say, SAVE YOUR TIME!

I tried the Thieves®Young Living™ dish soap, and though it cut through grease and cleaned my dishes really well, it lacked suds.  This is a big deal for me because I'm a visual and tactile person.  I knew that it was working, I could see it and I could feel it.  I just didn't see the suds.  *sad trombone*

Unfortunately, this is a no-go for me.  This may be a suitable option for you, though.  And, if so I am doing a happy jig for you.  I had to look further, and this was very hard for me to do as I LOVE all things Thieves®.  {OMG it smells SO GOOD}

So, I sought out to find a dish soap that was eco friendly that produced suds.  My first stop was the Environmental Working Group.  They have a Guide to Healthy Cleaning and when you search your cleaning products it'll give you a rating based on the "A"-"F" grading system.

"The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any." (EWG)

I needed something that I could pick up at the store while I still did research, because my kitchen sink was getting full with dishes.  I settled, and I truly mean settled, on Seventh Generation dish soap, which gets a "C" by the EWG.  A "C" is not a good grade!  But, it was better than Dawn.  



And, the more research that I did led me down the rabbit hole to Dr. Bronner's.  Sweet peas people! Have you heard of them?  Am I late to the game for just finding out about them?  
I chose to get their Sal Sud's Liquid Cleaner instead of their Castile Soap because SUDS!  AND, it gets an "A" from the EWG.  I mean, come on now!  


I ordered my first 32oz. bottle online as I truly did not feel like traipsing all over the place looking for it in health food/natural food/vitamin shop stores because I don't normally shop at those stores.  But let me tell you - they carry the 32oz. bottle at my local Vitamin Shoppe.  So, score!  And, this stuff is AMAZING.  

Look at those suds! And that's with 1/4 teaspoon of liquid detergent. 

Not only can I use it for my dishes, but I've used it as laundry detergent while I wait for my Young Living™ order to come in the mail (one of these days I'll have a back up supply of the Thieves® Laundry Detergent...one day).  I'm in heaven, people, look at all of the other options that are possible with this stuff.


Plus, I can add my favorite Thieves® Essential Oil to the soap and ta-da, I have a lovely smelling dish soap that produces suds and cleans really well.  Oh, I may add Stress Away® for the ultimate meditative experience while doing the dishes.  Oh, the possibilities here. Like Citrus Fresh®?  I have to stop or this will just be a post full of essential oils, but you get the idea if you want to enhance your dish washing experience.    



I encourage you to take a moment and go to the Environmental Working Group's website and check to see what your cleaning products are rated.  From there, make a decision, an active decision, to do better if any of your products have scored a "C" or lower.  There are better options out there.  Do you research and then experiment.  And, like I did, it's okay to start off slow as you are swapping the products out. If you are reading this you are likely the "gatekeeper" to your home.  You decide what crosses the threshold of your home.  You can do better for your and your family.    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.