Monday, March 7, 2016

Aubree's Story - Endometriosis Awareness Week 2016

I am very honored to share Aubree's story with all of you today.  Very much so for selfish reasons, too.  I have Aubree's book.  It was passed along to me by my cousin Michelle (whose story you will be able to read tomorrow) because, "you're into that kind of stuff".  
This, this right here is what rings true to me and what I love about Aubree:

"When you feel bad all the time I suppose you get used to it. I didn’t realize how bad I felt until I started to feel better. And feeling better inspired me to feel even better."


It was encouraging to read another person trying non-medical/non-traditional forms of dealing with their endometriosis.  It was through her that I was able to find Audrey Michel and continue to be encouraged on my journey. 

Aubree is an integrative health coach and the founder of Peace With Endo.  You can connect with her via social media here:http://peacewithendo.com



This is Aubree's Story

I suffered with extremely painful periods from the beginning. I complained about them for years to my doctors, but no one paid them much attention.  I was conditioned to believe that the pain was normal.

When I was 17, I went on birth control pills, which I continued to take for the next decade. When I got off of them late in my twenties, the pain with my periods returned with a vengeance causing me to miss days of work each month. I suffered with contractions in my uterus, nausea and diarrhea that left me weak and bedridden.

As time passed the pain caused me to suffer almost every day. I was exhausted, bleeding irregularly, and had awful pain after sex. I started to have consistent pains in my bladder and lower back.

It was a co-worker who initially mentioned endometriosis to me. One of her good friends was struggling with it. I had never heard of it. I had no idea what it was.

I started to research it and spent some time in online support groups. It didn’t take long for me to relate to the stories of these women. I had all the symptoms. After struggling for 17 years with extremely painful periods, how had I not heard of endometriosis?

I approached my gynecologist about it and she agreed that endometriosis was a possibility, but the only way to know for sure would be to have surgery. This didn’t sound very good to me. I had to go under and get cut open for an official diagnosis. Was it worth it?

After pondering this for a few months I eventually decided that I wanted to know if this disease was growing inside of me. I was concerned about the impacts it may be having on my fertility. So, I booked the surgery.

It was confirmed that I did have endometriosis. I was 29 years old.

In my follow-up visit after surgery I was offered two options: get back on birth control pills or get pregnant as soon as possible. My surgeon proceeded to sell me on a fertility study at the hospital that involved a barrage of testing and drugs.

After getting cut open and gassed up, pregnancy really was the last thought on my mind. How was I going to be able to take care of a child when I felt so horribly all the time?

I feel into a deep depression. I was filled with so much negative information about this newly named disease: there is no cure, it’s only going to get worse, you may never get pregnant.

I stressed out about it all. It seemed so hopeless. I spent any time that was not working under the covers of my bed with my heating pad. I was exhausted.

There had to be another way.

As I was researching endometriosis online I came across stories of women who were able to manage pain with dietary changes. These stories gave me hope. With little other options I started on what has been coined the “endo diet”.

As I cut out foods from my diet, I began to recognize the connection between the foods I ate and the pain that I was experiencing. Once I eliminated things like gluten and dairy, my digestive issues improved big time. The daily headaches I was used to stopped.

When you feel bad all the time I suppose you get used to it. I didn’t realize how bad I felt until I started to feel better. And feeling better inspired me to feel even better.

So, I dove head first into the world of health and wellness. I began to understand how my body worked. I became fascinated by the synergy of systems in my body and it’s innate desire to find homeostasis.

I grew up with a definition of health that meant popping a pill to solve every issue. This was re-defined for me as I began to study teachings in Ayurveda, Traditional Chinese Medicine, and functional and integrative medicines.

I learned how important it is to address the health of my digestion in order to improve my immune system, in order to ward off endometriosis. I began to understand why it was important for me to eat a certain way and manage my stress levels.

I began to examine the interplay of whole healing encompassing mind, body and spirit. The pain from endometriosis forced me to take better care of myself. It forged me into a spiritual journey to finding love for myself.

I’ve made so many changes since I was diagnosed in 2011, and I feel so much better. I’ve been able to stop taking all prescription and over the counter pain medication and have experienced what it is like to have mild period pain again, without the aide of birth control pills.

I chronicled much of my journey to healing on my blog at www.peacewithendo.com and in my first book From Pain to Peace With Endo: Lessons Learned on the Road to Healing Endometriosis. 


Hi, I’m Aubree Deimler, an integrative health coach and founder of Peace With Endo I support women with endometriosis manage pain through natural methods: diet, lifestyle and positive thinking. I am deeply passionate about wellness and inspiring other women with endometriosis to reconnect with a life filled with love and positive rhythms. Connect with me further at peacewithendo.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.