Tuesday, February 9, 2016

My Endometriosis Story {Part 3}

I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Endometriosis on September 16, 2015


I talked a little (well, really, I ranted) about it in this post 
And, here is Part 1, and here is Part 2


So, after my follow up appointment with my OB/Gyn I was recommended to a Gastroenterologist.  I also took it upon myself to find a Urologist.  Endometriosis has the ability to spread outside of the uterine wall area to other parts, and organs, nearby. Additionally, I had been trying to get in to see my Orthopedic doctor to get my knee checked out because of my issues with walking, standing and sitting.  I had assumed up to this point in my journey that the pain was caused by a knee injury that occurred in 2014.  After my procedure in September, though, it became apparent that the issue was not my knee, rather the inflammation that was occurring from the endometriois.  To err on the side of caution though, I wanted to see my Orthopedic doctor.  

In the process of finding a really awesome gastroenterologist and urologist (who also is a gynecologist - important, to me at least, in describing my symptoms and my endometriosis diagnosis) I had to switch to a different orthopedic doctor due to limited appointment availability (he decreased his hours, which didn't really work for me).  

It's a wonderful thing to be heard.  For what you are saying to be taken seriously.  I was nervous seeing each of these new doctors.  First up was the urologist - my endometriosis had not spread to my bladder.  Other issues were found which are being handled with medication and pelvic floor exercises and is in a manageable state right now.  Next up was the gastroenterologist - after a very thorough exam a colonoscopy was scheduled (which came up clear - no endometriosis, no cancer).  Lastly was my new orthopedic doctor - after an exam, x-rays and an MRI, more physical therapy was in order.

All three doctors agreed that the inflammation from my endometriosis contributed to all of the symptoms I was having, whether is was my bladder, colon or knee.    

So, if inflammation is the cause, and the root of that cause is being managed, how do I decrease my inflammation?  Lifestyle changes.  Mainly, diet and exercise.  

And, both of these changes I put off for over a month, because I just didn't want to deal with either in that moment.  I'd been poked and prodded and put under.  I needed to do some research of my own before I took on any more, and I'm glad that I did.        




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.