Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Burdens

A burden is defined as "a load, especially a heavy one"

People are not a burden, in my opinion.

Our loved ones, they are not a burden.

The weight of a situation may be heavy, but it is not the person who is.

So heavy that one needs to pause and reflect on what is really, REALLY important.

My Mom started chemo today...



I had to tell her that she is not, nor would be a burden to me if I was wanted or needed.

That wasn't a given, and that is sad.  It's a sad state to be in where older generations are thought of as being a trouble, a chore, a burden placed upon younger generations.  That simply is not the case.  We have so much to learn from them, so many histories and stories.  So many tricks and tips.  So many memories to share.  Yet, little time.

I had to remind my Mom that family always comes first.

I had to be reminded by my Mom that family always comes first.

I'm not saying that it would be easy for me to up and travel to Texas, it wouldn't.  But that doesn't mean that it's a burden.  It doesn't mean that it is not what should be done.  It just means that I need to pause and reflect.

Time is something that is fleeting.

And, our time is the most precious thing that we could possible give.

It's not a burden.

4 comments:

  1. (((hugs))) And lots of love to you, your mom, and the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things get so hard and complicated when our parents get older. I've had to take off for Tennessee a couple of times. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melisa...and hugging you back.

      Delete

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.