Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween With Food Allergies

Halloween with a kid who has food allergies.

Yep, this is going to be interesting.

The advantages are a few 
  1. He is 10
  2. He understands that he cannot eat anything
  3. The primary focus has not been on the candy, rather having fun
  4. He is 10
But, he is missing out on a lot of the normal merriment that we have on this day.  

His school doesn't celebrate it, so no class party, no dressing up, no treats.  And, to be honest, I'm fine with that.  He seems to be fine with that as well.  

To make is special for him I made gelatin jigglers that are safe for him to eat.

Gluten Free
Dairy Free
Soy Free

They are also preservative free and nut free.  Actually, they are healthy.  


I follow Mama Naturals recipe, with a few modifications.  I'll link it at the bottom of the post.

First, you need juice.  But, not just ANY juice.  Let us pause one moment as you dig out whatever juice you have in your fridge and look at the ingredient list.  I'll wait, go ahead.

...

Scary, right?

I normally juice my own oranges and use that.  I didn't have any oranges to juice, so I opted for the apple juice we choose to drink in our home.  Ingredient list, not as scary.  If you have a juicer, just juice out whatever combination of fruits/veggies  that you think would taste yummy and go with it.

Next, you need gelatin.  Not the stuff from the jello aisle either.  I use Great Lakes unflavored gelatin.  It's a pure protein source and I use it to thicken gravies and add to other dishes for an extra kick of protein (like when I make homemade flavored rice, I'll throw some of that in there).  I use it as a thickening agent in sauces too.
The ingredient list, also not as scary as that stuff in the jello aisle.  But, we need to be realistic here.  I mean, you do know what gelatin is, right?    

...and, that's it

Take 2 cups of your juice, put into a pot, add 2 Tablespoons of gelatin and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes, then let cool for 1 minute and transfer to either a bowl or mold to set in the fridge for 4 hours.


I don't add a sweetener, I think it tastes fine as is.

So, when Chris comes home from school he'll be able to enjoy a tasty Halloween treat that just so happens to be healthy for him as well.

We don't have to be all gloom and doom about food allergies.  We need to cast off this mindset that it's restricting.  We just need to look mindfully at what we have been eating and what we should be eating.

We will find out on Monday exactly what Chris is allergic to.  He will dress up for trick or treating and enjoy 3 hours of running the streets loading up on as much candy as he can.  But, we will follow the same rules we have followed in our home for years - you can pick out 30 pieces to have as treats, one a day and only when you ask, and the rest is going to a local charity.

He will not be able to indulge in one family tradition that we have on Halloween though, and that is eating candy for dinner tonight.  

Hold off, let me explain!

When you normally don't eat crap every day, when you do eat crap, you get sicker faster.  They only get a handful of candy in before they get stomach aches.  Then, they eat real food for dinner.

So, we will focus on the merriment and spectacle of the holiday and embrace Halloween for the fun day that it is.  

Here is the link to Mama Natural's recipe



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.