Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Jumping Up and Getting Down at Sky Zone

One of the disadvantages of living in the Midwest is the winters.  I hate the feeling of being stuck on my home due to inclement weather.  It really wasn't too bad last winter, even though the snow was insane, because I was immobilized and couldn't drive anywhere.  But, I digress...

Winters around here can be less than enjoyable.  

Finding enjoyable activities to do with my kids, who range in age from 15 to 18 months, can be difficult as well.  I have to find something that everyone is going to enjoy.

Enter Sky Zone

"We are dedicated to providing you with the pure joy that comes with flying. We are sky lovers, thrill seekers and people who believe that jumping is freedom. We believe fitness can be fun and play can be smart. We are healthy and bursting with energy. We fly high and keep it safe. We are Sky Zone."


Oh. Heck. Yes!

This was our very first time EVER going to a place like this.  We visited Sky Zone in Elmhurst on a Sunday afternoon.  Though there were multiple birthday parties going on when we were there, the actual jump zones were not packed with kids.  

Located right off of I290 in an industrial area, Sky Zone Elmhurst was easy to get to.  It took us about 1 hour. At this point, I think that's kind of par for the course when it comes to going anywhere with my kids, so really, the drive was no big deal.  

The facility is large, bright and clean.  

The staff is extremely nice and helpful.  

Once we checked in and received our awesome orange Sky Zone jumping socks, we were instructed to go view a video on the rules and meet with a Sky Zone staff member to review the rules prior to jumping. I think that we were there for maybe 5 minutes, and the video was playing in an area where you can take off your shoes and switch into your Sky Zone socks.  Lockers are also available for you to store your valuables or there are open bins to put your shoes.  

Chris and Cody took off to different sections to jump and explore while Will was warming up to the place.

 

There is a foam pit area where you can jump off of the trampoline floor into the foam blocks

There is a basketball area

There are multiple dodge ball courts

There is a special little kids area for safe jumping


There is a huge jumping area for older kids and adults


Will and I stuck to the little kids area, which he did enjoy once he got use to it.  With that being said, if you do plan on going and you have a toddler, I really would try it out for the 1 1/2 hour session.  It took Will about 45 minutes to warm up to the idea of jumping and getting use to the trampolines that by the time we went to leave, 15 minutes later, he wasn't too happy.  I do love their saying that "if they can walk, they can jump!" - it's so true!  Sky Zone Elmhurst offers a Toddler Time just for little ones to explore.   

So, what about safety?
Each section has an employee monitoring safety and making sure that the rules are being followed.  They will correct you if you are breaking a rule.  They want to make sure that your experience, as well as everyone else's, is an enjoyable one; and safety comes first!

I like the idea of Sky Zone as a fun alternative to PE during the winter months for homeschooling.  They do offer a Friday Homeschool Jump, which is a great opportunity to have your kids burn off some energy, get some physical exercise and meet up with other homeschooling families.  

Speaking of exercise - holy cow!  Cody, Chris and Dave were all dripping with sweat when we were done.  It's fun, got their heart rates up and allowed them to try new things, like flips and bouncing off of walls, safely. To learn more about the calorie burning fun offered at Sky Zone, click here.  Nothing is cooler than watching your husband take on your two older kids in a group dodge ball game.  

 
 

I did jump...kind of.  Lets flash back to the beginning of this post, I was immobilized over the winter.  Knee brace, crutches, months of physical therapy to get to the point where I could walk again.  Could I jump, though?  Well, the answer is sort of.  I knew my limits and got off of the trampoline when my knee started to not feel right.  But, I had a blast watching my kids and husband jump.  If you are a parent and you want to bring you child to jump, but you don't want to, that is an option here.  You only have to pay for your jumper and they have a "parent's lounge" for you to sit and watch your kids from.  Pretty neat!  

Was there anything that I didn't like about Sky Zone Elmhurst - not really, I mean it would be nice to have a Sky Zone closer to where we live.  But, like I said, an hour commute is kind of typical at this point.  

We loved Sky Zone Elmhurst! The hour that we were there FLEW BY!  We are definitely going back.

  

Thanks for letting us fly with you, Sky Zone.

You can find out more about Sky Zone Elmhurst here:
Website - http://www.skyzone.com/elmhurst
  


*the opinions are mine alone and I was compensated for this post with admission, including 1 hours of jump time, for my family and I at Sky Zone Elmhurst*.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.