Monday, September 29, 2014

Honey Bee Days - Morton Arboretum

On Sunday, September 21st I had the privilege to attend The Morton Arboretum Honey Bee Days. The Morton Arboretum did not disappoint with their fall festive decorations either.  That is defiantly an amazing place to soak in all of the beauty of this season!



    
So, with staying with self-sufficiency as my main drive, exploring bees was right up my alley.  A weekend dedicated to honey and bees?  I'm in!  Especially since I'm kicking around the idea of starting a bee box to obtain my own raw honey.  I kind of consider this event as a fate feeding my informational desire...it'll happen, I will get my bee box.  I just don't know when.


 

I got to see a section of the box frame loaded with bees and all of their golden honey.  It was pretty cool!  

There were vendors on site selling honey related items.  I'm a sucker for those honey sticks.  I'll own up to that right now.  They are PERFECT for a cup of tea.  Not only for the added sweetness, but many are flavored as well.  YUM!  If you could make it with honey, it was available here!





Let's talk liquor.  It is no shock or surprise that I also gravitate towards these tables as well.  I don't drink, but I make my own liquor.  So, when I saw that they were selling mead made from local honey in a glass skull bottle, I needed to know more!  Mead and beer are the two brews that I have not tried on my own yet.  Once I get my bee box going and some honey from that baby I'll have to give mead a whirl.


In addition to the vendors The Morton Arboretum was also offering educational and informative Honey Bee Hikes and demonstrations.  Of course this fit right in with my desire to seek out homeschooling/educational options.



 

Such as learning how to home bee keep.  

Now, for those of you who follow me on Facebook know that I had a bit of a run in with a flock (YES!  A FLOCK) or bees the day prior to going to The Morton Arboretum.  I ended up killing 9 in my house.  I figured out that they were coming in through the top of my screens (old time windows) and were attracted to the prickly pears I was reducing to make jelly.  Note to self, make prickly pear jelly at night. 

But, I digress...

In addition to enjoying The Honey Bee Days events we got to walk the grounds of The Morton Arboretum.  You can drive the road loop, or bike it as well.  You can bring your own bikes in or there is a rental stand on site.  I've both driven and biked the loop, the bike ride is gorgeous!  But, since it was Will and I we walked for a short bit and enjoyed The Tree House Tales.





The Morton Arboretum offers an extensive calendar of events, year round.  Actually, as I'm leafing through their fall booklet I see that there is a Meet the Beekeeper event on Columbus Day that I may have to go to.  

This upcoming weekend they are having their Drink It In: Beer Festival and 11th Annual Fall Color 5K & Walk which will usher in their Fall Color Festival that will take place every weekend in October and will offer a scarecrow trail around Meadow Lake to enjoy the amazing, brilliantly colored trees.
The Children's Garden at The Morton Arboretum is also offering special events for kids throughout the month as well. 

Oh!  And they are hosting a Drive-In Night featuring the movies Frankenweenie and Hocus Pocus. Tickets are in advance only, so if that's something that you are interested in I'd call today.

I had a wonderful time at The Honey Bee Days and taking in the gorgeous weather during one of my favorite times of the year at The Morton Arboretum.  


The Morton Arboretum is open 365 days a year, starting at 7am each day and closing at sunset.  The Visitor Center's hours and additional information can be found here.  Wednesday is their discounted admission day, regular admission ranges from $12 for adults to $9 for youth (2-17), and admission does include parking.  

*the opinions are mine alone and I was compensated for this post with admission for two to The Morton Arboretum.  I chose to attend The Honey Bee Days*.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.