Monday, September 22, 2014

Homeschool Bash 2014

There are very few companies/organizations in Illinois that support homeschoolers.

...and Illinois is one of the more lenient states regarding homescooling laws.

I had the privilege to propose an idea for a going back to school party for homeschoolers over the summer.

My town offers has a huge going back to school party that takes place at a local park the Friday after school officially starts in the area.  Complete with bounce houses, games and food, it's a must attend event for local school children.

But...

...what about homeschoolers?

Sure, I could easily take my kids to the party at the local park.  It just doesn't "feel" right to me, though.  I don't know, maybe it's just me.

So, over the summer I was approached for a blogger event and pitched the idea of a going back to school party for homeschoolers.  Actually, I wanted to call it "Not Going Back to School Party"... that didn't fly with their marketing folks.  Understandable, really.

Anywho, I sat down with the marketing manager and general manager and talked about why I homeschool and why I think it's important to have a celebration for homeschoolers, and how I thought that they were a good fit for such an event.

...and they agreed.  Like, excitedly agreed!

How cool is that!

So, last Monday at Chick-fil-a in Orland Park, the very first area Homeschool Bash was held.  Due to the weather, we did have to move inside.  But, the turnout was still great.

The bast part - meeting other homeschooling families from the area.

The coolest part - two woman who lived in neighboring towns meeting each other and connecting.

Fellowship

That was one of my biggest fears when I started homeschooling, the prospect of being alone in my journey.  That I wouldn't have anyone to talk to.  That my kids wouldn't have friends.

Though I did take tons of photos at the Homeschool Bash, they contain children who are not mine, so I don't feel comfortable posting them here.  But, here is the promo poster from the store...


The turn out and response was fantastic!  Chick-fil-a Orland Park is planning on a Homeschool Bash 2015!

My hope is that this continues each year and brings more and more homeschooling families together. That they do feel connected and that they are not alone in their journey.
 
I have done a lot of posts here, partnering up with local companies that offer services or specials to homeschooling families, and I am always very appreciative of their accommodations.  This was a little different.  Chick-fil-a Orland Park threw a party, complete with games and prizes and people is cow costumes, for homeschoolers.  It was pretty cool!  I hope to see you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.