Monday, September 8, 2014

Good Byes Suck

Today is a tough day for me.

I went to visit my friend Jen as she is moving to southern Indiana this weekend.  She's moving 4 hours away.

I've written before about The Farm.

Our first visit there, here

And then what became weekly visits, here, here, herehere and...well there are a lot and that's just from 2011 & 2012.

But this one, this is my favorite.

There have been a lot of changes around here with regards to homeschooling.  Cody is in high school, Chris is not attending private school, so it's just Will and I.

All of my homeschooling friends are no longer a constant and that sucks.

Jen and her family moving really sucks.

My boys practiced shooting guns and bows at The Farm

Learned how to pole fish, drive an ATV and a tractor there

They learned how to make homemade mozzarella cheese there

How to blow out eggs to decorate

How to walk by bee hives so that you don't piss them off

How to spot wild edibles

The difference between store bought food and farm raised food - eggs, sweet potatoes, long beans, raspberries

How to properly start your own veggies

Wills first solid foods came from Jen's garden - sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin...

Jen and her family have helped us to be more sustainable in our efforts.  How to do more for ourselves and how to seek out reliable sources of information on growing, preserving and preparing our own foods and crops.

Jen has specifically empowered me to be okay with being different...outside of the norm, and to know that I am capable of a whole lot of things.  Growing my own food, preserving it, making my own food from scratch and seeing the beauty of a Ball Canning Jar.  Plus, truly knowing what this mean 



I am going to greatly miss them not being a short 40 minute drive from us.

Here is an article from the September/October 2014 issue of GRIT Magazine. They won homesteader of the year.  They freely gave away what knowledge they had to those who were willing to learn.  I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to be one of those people.


Thank you, for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.