Sunday, June 29, 2014

Indian Boundary Line Homestead

Our garden is in!

I started the starters the day after Memorial Day.  We prepped the garden area by tilling, throwing our compost pile into the area and re-tilling it and then adding the ash pile from our mega burn into on top of that and re-tilling, again. We are taking over a part of the utility property that runs the length of the south end of our property.


While we were on vacation for 10 days my grandfather-in-law babied them for me.  I picked these up, thanks to him.


I tried something different this year and decided to start my plants in toilet paper rolls cut in half.  They have worked great thus far.  The cardboard should decompose in the soil at this point.  It saved us money by reusing something we would have recycled anyways.  


We have green and yellow beans (top left), pie pumpkins, winter squash, zucchini, ornamental gourds (bottom left), tomatoes & peppers (top right), peas (middle right) and radishes (bottom right).


We also have wild grapes, I'll use the leaves for pickling (top left), mulberry trees, for alcohol, jams and baking (bottom left), sweet corn (top right), cucumbers and pickling cucumbers (middle right), chive (bottom right) and carrots (bottom middle).

Dave worked really hard on building the trellis system for our tomatoes and peppers.  A row of green beans will climb up a portion of it as well.  I'm excited to use it this year, it will alleviate the need to bend down to pick the fruits and veggies.  I'll be able to see them better and access them easier. 

We have been kicking around a name for our garden/homestead for a while.  I've been kind of hesitant to call it a homestead.  I mean, it's a suburban yard.  But, what we do here is more than just garden.  We attempt to sustain, by either growing our own, trading/bartering or buying local.  We are more than a garden.


The Indian Boundary line runs through the back end of our yard.  The town we live in has a vivid and amazing history, rich with pioneers and homesteading.  One that teetered on existence with the Indian tribes that inhabited the area. It's actually really, really cool.  And, I wanted to honor that.  So, there is the sign that will hang in our garden.  

 Maybe I should add Gorilla Gardener to that sign?  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.