I decided to phase out my normal hair care routine.
- twice monthly hot oil conditioning
- daily shampoo and conditioning
- daily leave in conditioner
I have think and naturally curly hair. You wouldn't know that my hair was curly because I have worked really, REALLY hard to straighten it with all that conditioning. It's also been pretty much every color under the rainbow, quite literally.
But, once I became pregnant with Will in 2012 I stopped dying my hair. I stopped my hot oil treatments and I stopped my daily use of leave in conditioner. I switched to washing my hair every other day using both shampoo and conditioner.
So, now it's two years later and I have used up the last of my shampoo (I still have some conditioner left, which I put away in case...you know, just in case).
On May 26th I started my no poo routine.
I had done my research, found the recipes that I wanted to use and then set out to find spray bottles that actually worked. Does anyone else have a hard time finding spray bottles that actually work?
Why am I doing this? Well, I just want to get away from chemicals and unnecessary stuff. This was my 'what can I do today' thing towards changing and improving. I figured I'd give it a month and then reassess.
It's been one week - here's what I've noticed so far
- though there were many warnings of yucky looking hair the first two weeks, I did not experience that.
- it was really hard to pick our my hair and then brush it after I washed it
- it took forever for my hair to dry
- some flaking, not dandruff though, I think just residual build up of stuff coming off
- though there were suggestions to not use the "conditioner" spray until after a two week break in period, I ended up using it on the third wash
- it dried faster
- it was easier to pick out and brush
- my hair does not stink
- it's really smooth and manageable
What I'm using
To wash I'm using 1 T. of baking soda with 1 C. of water in a spray bottle with the nozzle on direct stream setting. I spray it directly on my scalp and then go over it with my finger tips to scrub my scalp. Rinse with warm water.
To condition I'm using 2 T. of raw apple cider vinegar with 2 C. water in a spray bottle with the nozzle on mist setting. I spray it to the ends of my hair only and then rinse out with warm water.
I do this three times per week.
And...that's it. And...it's fine.
As we are entering summer here I'd be interested in seeing how it stands up with a more active lifestyle of outdoor adventures. Also, how it travels when we go on vacation.
What else am I doing?
- cleaning my face with oil
- charcoal to whiten my teeth
Those updates will be forthcoming.