Friday, May 2, 2014

Howl!

On Monday I received a "token of appreciation" from the Chicago Wolves for participating in their 2013/2014 Read to Succeed program.  As a homeschooling family in Illinois, there are a few organizations that extend the perks that they offer to brick & mortar schools to homeschooling families as well.  The Chicago Wolves are such an organization.
 
Chris participated in their Read to Succeed program and successfully completed the requirements that we agreed to (40 hours of reading) in order to receive this discount voucher for a Wolves ticket.  Unfortunately, it was not financially feasible for us, as a family of four, to attend a Chicago Wolves game this season.  I was a little bummed.  Dave had taken Chris and Cody to a game in February through our Cub Scout Pack (they bought in bulk, and got all the tickets discounted) and all three came home raving about the pregame fireworks, the game, and how family friendly the who experience was, and that we NEEDED to all go to a game.    

Fast forward to this past Monday.  I received a lovely e-mail offering me a voucher for two complimentary tickets to one of their first round playoff games as a coordinator for their Read to Succeed program.  

Wait..what?

I double checked our calendar - OPEN

I checked to see how much parking was - $13

I checked to see if there were restaurants nearby to eat dinner at.  Given the fact that we would have to leave at 3:30pm in order to make the 7pm game on Thursday we would need to eat up there - there are no less than 5 restaurants all within walking distance of The Allstate Arena.  

By the way, the IHOP near there only has Kids Eat Free on Mondays and Tuesdays - (PSA) *wink, nod*

I checked to see if there would be a pregame show - YES!!


So...$30 to account for parking and a sit down meal at IHOP and we have two tickets for a game.

Heck YES!

We did leave at 3:30pm for the one hour commute to Rosemont.  I'm a realist.  Rush hour starts at 3pm in Chicago, people.  I also needed to go to the box office prior to the game to get our tickets.  The person who took care of us was so friendly and accommodated my request for aisle seats.  Again, I'm a realist.  I have a 1 year old with me who has never been to a hockey game and will be missing his evening nap to attend.  I did not want to ruin the game for those around us and needed a quick get away, just in case.  

Our seats ROCKED!

After we secured our tickets and I staked out a parking entrance and verified that it was in fact $13, we headed to IHOP.  Which is right across the street from the arena.  Can this get any freaking easier? 
Did I mention that I'm known for getting lost?  No?  Well, I am.  I just want to take a moment to mention here how easy it was to get off of I90 at Lee Street (off of I294) and then turn at the first street to access the box office and parking.  Like ridiculously easy!  And I say this only because I DIDN'T GET LOST!

So, Chris and I enjoyed a nice sit down meal at IHOP and at 5:20pm loaded back up into the van and headed back across the street to the area to park.  I had accounted this extra time because I didn't know how far we would have to walk to get to the doors, which opened at 6pm.  Again, realist here - I have a 1 year old with me.  Parking, by the way, was a non-issue.  I got the first spot by the south entrance doors.


Chris is my Super Fan child.  He was so excited he was buzzing!  

BZZZZZ-ING!!!

We were given thunder sticks as we entered and ran into Skates, the mascot, in the hall.  The arena was easy to navigate to find where we needed to sit.  The only thing that I wished that I had done was locate the nearest doors to where our seats where, but it really was a non-issue.  Just something to keep in mind for the next time.


And, having a child who is a Super Fan, I don't think that I could have scored enough Awesome Mom Points than I did last night with the seats that we were able to get.


 And, the pregame show...



Yes

Please

And Thank You!!

We had a blast at the game.  It was mine and Will's first time attending a Wolves game.  Though we were only able to stay until 8pm (*waving* realist), IT WAS SO COOL!!  The Chicago Wolves were able to score two goals in the first period prior to us leaving.  The fans who sat around us were so nice too.  Many gave Chris their thunder sticks and the gentleman in front of us play fought with Will, thunder stick to thunder stick during non-action on the ice.

So, here is my standing on a soap box advice:
1) what programs do the schools around you offer their students?  can you take advantage of them too, contact the organizations directly and find out.  
2) a Chicago Wolves game really is a family friendly experience.  I'm sad that we didn't get to stay for the whole thing, but the time spent was most enjoyed!  I can't wait to go back, and I know that my Super Fan of a child is excited to return as well.  


*the opinions are mine alone and I was not compensated for this post in any way.  I appreciate that the Chicago Wolves allow Illinois homeschooling families to participate in their Read to Succeed program and wanted to give them a shout-out for that and for making a Chicago Wolves game such a family friendly time.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.