Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Insanity

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again yet expecting different results.  I know this, like REALLY KNOW THIS.  It's a core belief of mine, one which has been hard learned in recovery.

Sometimes I need help.

When I get to the point where I'm throwing up my hands in exasperated irritation, that's such a time.

One of the many areas that I struggle in as a homeschooler is with curriculum...specifically to use it, or not and how much of it, if any and which one as opposed to the other, if I am.  Ideally I'd like our everyday experiences and such to be enough to count as "learning".  It's definitely street smart learning, to be sure. But, it's not enough.  It never is. *sigh*

Then there's the money factor - textbooks and workbooks and teaching aids and teacher's copies and so on, and on, and on, are expensive - FUCKING EXPENSIVE!  No joke!  Even the used stuff.

Today, I am so grateful for

  • school districts that post their scope & sequence with time frames and sourcing materials on-line
  • being able to secure used (like beat the hell up, battered and bruised) textbooks, workbooks and teacher's copies to review the 3rd grade and complete the 4th grade topics prior to starting the 5th grade in the fall.
  • the ability to surrender my need to control and be perfect and try to make what I have work, even when it's not working (square peg in round hole...or doing the same thing over and over and over....) and to ask for help.
  • ...receiving help!
I feel much more sure of myself as a mother and my son's teacher.  It's a good place to be.  It's progress, and I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.