Monday, November 7, 2011

Zero Is An Even! A Homeschooling Argument

"Mommy, I know what zero is.  If one is an odd than zero is an even," beamed my 7 year old.  
Sounded logical to me.  I raced through my brain real quickly "Is that right?"  Then my 12 year old pipped up.  "No it's not.  It's a non-determinant number."
Of course, I did what I thought right.  I sided with my 7 year old.  Not because he's the 7 year old, but because I was never taught this "non-determinant number" thing that my smart ass brilliant 12 year old was speaking of.  I would have searched on-line for the answer, but the 7 year old was using my computer to do his math work.  I mean, it seems pretty common-sense like, right?  Zero has to be an even number.
So here I am 3 hours later looking up the answer I gave my 7 year old to see if it was correct.  It's moments like these that I am SO grateful that I have assistance with homeschooling, at least in this case via an on-line math program.  They would be so screwed if I were teaching them math.  I know my strengths and my weaknesses as a homeschooler.  What I can and cannot teach them.  The things that I can teach them vastly outweigh what I cannot (at this specific point it's math, skateboarding, guitar and knot tying), everything else I totally rock at!  Just ask my kids, I'm sure they would agree.  They better, or they are in trouble.
Oh, and I found the answer thanks to Wikipedia "Zero is an even number, because it is divisible by 2." 
HA!  By the way, I'm not even going to search the non-determinant number thing because at this point, I'm right.  Why rock the boat?  I'm rolling with my rightness.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! I wouldn't even be able to touch that with a ten foot pole! My child is going to be 3 years old on 11/11/11 (I know, that's so binary, isn't it?) and I'm already dreading long division and fractions! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rolling with your rightness...love it! Sounds like you have some pretty smart cookies in that house regardless.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.