Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Biggest Homeschooling Mistake

My biggest homeschooling mistake thus far?  This is a tough one.  We have only been doing this for about 10 months.  We pulled Cody out of 6th grade during Christmas break of last year and Chris just decided that he didn’t want to go to school for 2nd grade.  Hmmm…answers like
  • “We should have started sooner”
  • “Not having faith in myself”
  • “Not wanting to give up my time”
  • “Doubting my abilities”
all pop into my mind.  We had thought about homeschooling when Cody was still in day care.  The thought of teaching math terrified me (of course that is my weakness!).  So, the answer was a resounding NO!
It takes being pushed and pushed and pushed to the point of surrender.  It was at this point where I was able to objectively look at the situation in front of me.  What we were doing was not working.  What is the definition of insanity?  Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.  How many ways can you go to an administrator and ask for help and not get resolution?  How many times can you get labeled as “those parents” because you question and question and push for answers and not get them?  It compounds.  It builds up and it gets to the point where you find yourself throwing your hands up in the air and asking your husband if he can teach math.
Actually, it’s come to me now.  My biggest homeschooling mistake was not taking my kids misery seriously while he was in public school.  My biggest homeschooling mistake was letting my child suffer.   It’s all of the above reasons.  It’s beating myself up over not having faith in myself, doubting myself, not pulling him out earlier or knowing Algebra I.  The payoff of homeschooling though, those outweigh all the doubt and concern and fear.  Had I had more faith in my ability as a mother to teach my child, foster a lasting and loving relationship, and find help where I lacked (math) I don’t think he ever would have entered school.  It’s amazing how it was my fear that limited our homeschooling experience.  In my humanness I will fail.  Today, I choose not to beat myself up over that.    

4 comments:

  1. Hi! So glad I ran across your blog. I didn't know you had one. Jared and Alexa are still talking about the great time they had at your archery class. You were so awesome and patient! I think it's normal to have fears, but I think you've hit on an important point. When love is at the center of our homeschooling, that's what's important. Just paying attention to our kids, knowing when to back away when they get too frustrated or are not ready to be doing something is also important. You're listening well to your kids now, and that's what counts. By the way, I've started my site Interest-Led Learning in March. You can find it at www.christinapilkington.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    So glad to hear that your kids enjoyed the class. They were a blast that day and I'm so happy that you were able to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate. We had a very similar experience. My son was being bullied and no longer enjoying school. But I let myself be influenced by people telling me that taking him out of school would be like letting him give up, instead of facing his problems. I too was afraid of teaching math. I'm so glad I followed my gut and ignored those voices. We've been going for 7 months now, and very convinced that we made the right decision. Love your blog title and look forward to reading more.
    Here's us - www.luminousfire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabriela -
    Thank you SO much for sharing! It's so nice to know that we are not the only ones out there. I'm clicking over to follow you as well. Thanks so much for leaving 2 comments =-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! We love comments, we would just like to moderate them to eliminate spam. So go ahead and leave your comment and we will post it in a little bit. Thanks!