Monday, August 29, 2011

Secrets of a Successful Homeschool Mom

I read this and wanted to share. 

Some of the ideas that screamed loud and clear to me while reading this article was:
"She realizes that homeschool doesn't have to mean doing school at home" - I struggled with this when I first started homeschooling Cody.  I tried to replicate the school atmosphere at home from the curriculum, to the schedule to the assignments.  It didn't work out, and it didn't last that long.  Thank goodness for awareness and flexibility to change. 

"...homeschooling is a lifestyle, not a regimen."  - I REALLY needed to read this today!  I'm second guessing myself on what I have planned out to do with the boys this year.  Is it enough, am I being too lenient, am I being too strict...blah, blah, blah.  In essence the itty-bitty-shitty-committee is residing in my brain right now and it's now a fun place for me to be. 

We don't officially start school until Tuesday, September 6th.  I like the idea of going Labor Day to Memorial Day.  I have the workbooks and supplies and copies and I think I'm ready.  I just need to chill a little and realize that it's all going to be okay.  

2 comments:

  1. It WILL be ok. It is a little hot today and I realized that Evan sitting on the tile, coloring on a white board is FINE. It's called art. It's learning. It's the handwriting skills he needs to work on, so why was I trying to deny him that? Exactly. Color on, kiddo.

    We just make up next week what we missed this week. It works for us.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a comment over here at Educational Anarchy. In encouraging you to comment with differing opinions, I also ask that you keep all comments "nice". I reserve the privilege to not only delete your comment if I feel that it is offensive, a personal attack or otherwise obnoxious, but to also use it as possible future blog post material.